Montgomery County Veterans Services

Veterans Services
Agricultural Building (basement)
203-A West Main Street
Troy, NC 27371
Phone: (910) 576-4711
Fax: (910) 576-0448
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 12 Noon; 1 – 5 p.m.

Montgomery County Veterans Services

“Serving the Pride of Montgomery County”

The Montgomery County Veterans Service Office assists veterans and their dependants in preparing claims for Service Connected Disability Compensation, Nonservice Connected Pension; Educational Benefits, Health Care Benefits, Vocational Rehabilitation, Burial Benefits, and any other benefit to which the applicant is entitled under federal or state law.

TheMontgomery County Veterans Service Officer (CVSO) is employed by the County of Montgomery and works under the supervision of the North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs (NCDVA) – pursuant to NC General Statute 165. Montgomery County included in NCDVA’s District 13. The NCDVA District 13 Service Officer comes to Montgomery County biweekly for assistance to veterans and training for the CVSO. The CVSO does provide services through the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, and other Veterans Service Officers in Winston-Salem.

The CVSO attend meetings of different groups in the county to explain VA benefits for veterans and their dependents.
The Montgomery County Veterans Service Office is a member of the North Carolina Association of County Veterans Service Officers (NCACVSO) and the National Association of County Veterans Service Officers (NACVSO), and the Montgomery County Veterans Council.

Duties of the County Veterans Service Officer include:

  • Assist in the completion and filing of claims with the VA Regional Office and the Board of Veterans Appeals.
  • Assist spouses in filing for death benefits
  • Assist veteran in filing for health care benefits
  • Assist veterans and dependents in filing for educational benefits
  • Assist eligible spouses in filing for CHAMPVA benefits
  • Assist in renewal of medication for veterans at the Salisbury VA Medical Center
  • Make home visits or visits to nursing homes/rest homes when necessary to complete applications for benefits
  • Assist surviving spouse/other family member in securing grave marker for veteran
  • Assist local funeral homes in securing military information for flag
  • Assist veterans in completing form for review of discharge or correcting military records
  • Assist veteran in securing a copy of DD-214 from the National Personnel Records Center, St. Louis, MO.
  • Work with local agencies to provide assistance to veteran and dependents

Common VA Benefit Terms:

Compensation: Monetary award to the veteran for a service-connected disability, which can be linked to military service, such as an injury, wound, or illness.

Nonservice Connected Pension: Monetary award to the wartime veteran or surviving spouse if they meet the financial guidelines set forth by Congress. The pension is based on income and net worth. The veteran must have had ONE (1) day wartime service to be eligible to apply for pension.

Aid and Attendance: Extra funds are awarded if the veteran or surviving spouse needs assistance from another person, such as bathing, medication, getting dressed, or performing other daily needs.

Housebound: The applicant is confined to his/her home, but he/she does not need assistance in dressing, bathing, etc. from another person.

Dependent Indemnity Compensation (DIC): Monetary award to the surviving spouse of a 100% service connected veteran at the time of death or if the death was service-connected. This is not based on income.

DD-214: A military separation paper issued to veterans after 1949. Prior to this, the form was DD-AGO 53 – 55. Number is located in the lower left corner of document.
The DD-214 may be recorded at the local Register of Deeds office free of charge for safekeeping. The veteran is able to get free certified copies of the DD-214s when needed.

Scholarships for Dependents:

State of North Carolina Scholarships: These scholarships are available through the state and are administered by the NCDVA for the children of certain disabled wartime veterans. Four classes of the scholarships are awarded annually to applicants. Classes I-A, I-B, and IV are automatic awards, with no limitation to the number awarded. Classes II and III are competitive scholarships, with 100 awarded in each class. The final deadline for applications is March 31 annually. Student must attend a college or university in North Carolina. Applications are available through the County Veterans Office.

North Carolina Association of County Veterans Service Officers Memorial Scholarship for Deceased Veteran Service Officers: The one time $500 scholarship, which is awarded annually by the NCACVSO, is open to high school seniors and college students. Applications are accepted from September through December annually. In addition to submitting the academic and financial requirements, the applicant must write a one-page essay, “What a Veteran Means to Me”. The committee meets in April to award the scholarships. Student must attend a college or university in North Carolina. Applications are available through the County Veterans Service Office who is a member of NCACVSO.

Montgomery County Vets Helping Vets Support Group:

The Vets Helping Vets is a self-help support group, which was organized to provide assistance to veterans who are suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Families of the veterans are encouraged to attend the sessions. Veterans who do not suffer from PTSD are also welcome to attend. All information discussed in the group is confidential.
Meeting Date: 3rd Thursday, monthly
Location: Agricultural Building Auditorium
203 West Main Street, Troy
Time: 6:30 – 8:30 pm -November – April
7 –9 p.m. – May – October
Contact the Veterans Service Office for more information at 910-576-4711.

Montgomery County Veterans Council:

The Council is comprised of representatives from the three American Legion Posts and Ladies Auxiliaries and the three Veterans of Foreign Wars Posts and Auxiliaries in Montgomery County. The group meets monthly, with the exception of the month of July.

The Council sponsors a veterans benefits program annually in April, with speakers from the VA and North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs; a Memorial Day program held the last Sunday of May at the Courthouse; and a Veterans Day Parade at 11 a.m. in downtown Troy, on the Saturday preceding Veterans Day.
Meeting Date: 1st Thursday, monthly, except July
Location: Agricultural Building Auditorium
203 West Main Street, Troy
Time: 7 p.m. (April – October); 6:30 p.m. (November – March)
For more information, contact the Veterans Service Office at 910-576-4711.

Montgomery County Veterans Monument

The Veterans Monument consists of twelve Dedicated Plaques that are located in the front of the Montgomery County Courthouse 108 East Main Street Troy, North Carolina.

Dedication Plaques

Panel 1 Panel 2 Panel 3 Panel 4 Panel 5 Panel 6
Panel 1-A

Panel 2-A

Panel 3-A
Panel 4-A

Panel 5-A
Panel 6-A

The Veterans Monument Project began in 1997 and was temporarily closed in November 2002. At this time, no applications for names are being accepted. Hopefully, new applications will be accepted at a future date to be announced. The names on each panel are in alphabetical order. The A indicates names on the back of each panel.


Back to top