Department of Social Services

Adult Services

Important Update: Changes in Congregate Meals and Home Delivered Meals

In keeping with recommendations from NCDHHS and the CDC, we have made changes to our meal programs to protect our most vulnerable population. The following is subject to change depending on guidance from the state or federal government. 

  • Changes in Meals for Congregate: As of  July 11, 2022, congregate participants may choose to return to our Senior Nutrition Site at Troy Senior Center Monday - Friday. Or individuals may continue to receive frozen meals weekly
  • Changes in Meals for Home Delivered Meals: All HDM clients will receive a delivery of frozen meals each week. 

Volunteer Opportunity: Montgomery County Meals on Wheels

We are looking for volunteers for the Meals on Wheels program in Montgomery County. Site Coordinators are needed in Biscoe and Troy. Delivery volunteers are needed across the county. Whether you are able to assist once a week or once a month, your kindness will be valued by your neighbors who are homebound.

To find out how you can help, please call 910-572-0050 and leave your name and number. We'll call you back and provide more information. 

Services for Adults

Adult Services Programs offer support to elderly and disabled adults, provide protective services to vulnerable adults and regulate certain residential services. In addition, we offer employment services to adults receiving work first cash assistance and offer other supportive services to recipients of various financial assistance programs. Programs that we administer include:

Adult Protective Services (APS)

APS evaluates reports alleging that disabled adults with a physical or mental incapacity or elderly adults are abused, neglected, or exploited and are in need of protective services. Our goal is to determine whether the adult is able to perform or obtain for himself/herself essential services or is without able, willing, and responsible persons to perform or obtain those services on the client’s behalf. We assess the situation to determine what services are needed to protect the adult and prevent further mistreatment.


DSS must sometimes initiate or help families initiate guardianship proceedings for incompetent adults. When MCDSS is appointed the guardian for a person, we provide case management and make decisions for individuals that the court has adjudicated incompetent and appointed DSS as guardian. In some situations, we may contract case management services out to a private vendor.

There are 4 types of guardianship appointments:

  • Guardian of the Person
  • Guardian of the Estate
  • General Guardian
  • Limited Guardianship (which means that a person may be competent to make decisions in some areas, but unable to make decisions in other areas of his/her life).

Facility Licensing and Monitoring Services

MCDSS licenses and monitors family care homes (6 beds or less), adult care homes (7 beds or more), assisted living facilities, adult day health centers and adult day care centers for compliance with state/federal rules and regulations. We also investigate complaints of non-compliance in facilities and provide technical assistance to facility staff. Public records are kept at DSS on all monitoring complaints, state surveys, and penalties.

Adult Care Home Resident Discharge

MCDSS takes the lead role for discharge destination for those residents of Adult Care Homes who have received a discharge notice and at the time of discharge the destination is not appropriate or is unknown. These services are for residents whose primary unment needs are related to health, Alzheimer's Disease, other dementia, abuse or neglect.

Special Assistance In-Home Program

This program provides case management and coordination of services to eligible Medicaid residents who are receiving no other Medicaid Case Management services. This program allows individuals to stay in a private living arrangement as an alternative to assisted living placement.

Representative Payee

DSS is appointed representative payee for some citizens who receive funds such as SSI, Social Security, and SA In-Home and have been determined unable to manage these funds themselves. We are responsible for paying the client’s bills and managing their money appropriately.

Adult Services Supervisor: Marlee Caudill
Phone: 910-576-6531 x 1152

Office: 910-576-6531
FAX: 910-576-5016
102 East Spring Street
Drawer N
Troy NC, 27371