The non-emergency Medicaid Transportation program can help you access medical care, including primary care, specialist, pharmacy, and mental health visits. Assistance is available to all full-Medicaid recipients. If your application is pending, you are in deductible status, or you receive MQ-B or Health Choice, you are not eligible for assistance.
NEMT Contact Numbers
Beginning July 1, 2021 Montgomery County DSS will only provide transportation coordination for NC Medicaid Direct members. You will need to check your Medicaid ID card for your current Medicaid plan and call the phone number below:\
- AmeriHealth Caritas - 833-498-2262
- Carolina Complete Health - 855-397-3601
- Healthy Blue - 855-397-3602
- United Healthcare - 800-349-1855
- WellCare - 877-598-7602
Call the transportation providers directly to schedule your appointment. They will verify your Medicaid status with us.
Trip Reimbursements (Gas Vouchers)
You may be provided QuikChek gas vouchers if you use your own vehicle. You must complete a Travel Verification form for each trip. Forms must be turned in to DSS by the 7th of each month. Effective August 7, 2022, travel forms are due no later than 12pm on the 7th of each month. Any trip 30 or more miles from your home must be pre-approved by us.
Gas vouchers will be mailed out on the last business day of the month. For a list of voucher mailing dates and QuikChek locations that accept vouchers, please click here.
More Information about Medicaid Transportation
- You must complete an assessment of your transportation needs each year.
- Transportation will only be provided by the least expensive method suitable to your individual needs.
- If you “no show” three times for a trip, you may be suspended from services for one month.
- If you are rude or endanger the safety of a driver or another passenger, you may be suspended from services.
- If a transportation request is denied, you may make a written request for hearing within 10 business days.
If you have questions or inquiries about Medicaid Transportation, please contact:
Colleen Deaton, Medicaid Lead Worker
910-576-6531 x 1132